Update: Narcissu is up on Steam now!
Super excited about this.
The Narcissu 1+2 Steam greenlight has been Greenlit in 31 days! WOOO!
It had been an exciting 31 days. We had an amazingly strong response at the start, and then people helped out by getting the word out, and we were actually ranked #2 out of all the games in the program before the announcement.
That said… there’s lots to do before we can release… Sekaiproject’s tetatively hoping to get everything all done by Q1 2014. Here’s hoping.
The (incomplete) list of things we need to do before the release, that I can think of right now in my excitement: (BTW. I did say this is totally incomplete and I totally made up this list right this moment right?)
- gp32 needs to finish his new translations of both Narci 1 and 2. These will be the ‘main’ scripts of the game. (Then of course the checking/editing period needed for that)
- I need to go back and refresh my old Narci 1+2 translations. Not a full rewrite, but touching up things that I feel are weak.
- We also have to work the Japanese back into the system and functioning properly (I don’t think there’s ever been a dual-language narci release. Technically it’s possible, but there’s certain fussy engine details that make it delicate.)
- Play testing. Lots and lots and lots of it. Because we want the thing to run smoothly when it hits steam
- Getting the engine to work across all the platforms we want to support..
Then there’s “nice to haves”…. that aren’t critical, might be dropped without notice if it’s slowing down the main release, or if unexpected surprises come up… or we add it on later on… if things work out.
- Even more languages? It’s an utter pain in the butt to integrate even just 2 languages in. Plus we’d need someone to vet the translation quality of the other versions…
- It’d be really nice to be able to release a soundtrack. There’s a bunch of hurdles that need to be cleared. Hopefully we can make something happen… but it ultimately depends on the rights holders in Japan to give the final OK.
- Steam cards/achievements? (who knows, we still have to look at the SDK and see what the heck is even possible… and if it makes any sense [debate for another day])